Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fermented Cooking.

Two days ago I was watching the Cooking Network (Canada's) and Micheal Smith taught me how to make a French Cabatta. I decided to give it a go and to make Jamie Oliver's (Naked Chef) Guiness stew to go along with it. The stew, I have made a few times and knew it would be yummy. The bread, however, was new for me. I am happy to report it is a lot like La Baughette's (Favorite french bakery that is no longer here). I thought I would share the recipes. Be aware, you have to start the bread almost 24 hours before you want to serve it.

Bread

3 cups white flour
1/4 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 5/8 cups water.

Just stir until well mixed. Cover and put away for 18 hours. After the 18 hours, punch down and place on a heap of flour on a non stick cooking sheet, or wax paper, or anything non-sticky that you can lift up. Add lots of flour over the top and cover with a towel. It will stick to the towel so I really mean it, LOTS OF FLOUR! Let rise again on this non-stick surface for 2 hours. About a half hour before it is done rising the second time, heat the oven to 450 f degrees. Place a pot into the oven with the lid on. Heat this pan and lid to 450 degrees. Take the pan out of the oven and put 1/4 cup flour on the bottom of the pan and then immmediately put the bread into it. (Try to do it gently so that it does not collapse). Decrease oven to 350 F degrees. Bake at the bread, in the pot, at 350 F degrees for 20 minutes (with the lid on). Then take the lid off and continue to cook for 20 min. Take it out and eat it hot with lots of butter. Yummy!


Stew

1 Onion
3 stocks celery chopped
1/4 cup butter chopped
3-4 carrots chopped
3 medium potatos chopped
1 1/2 pound beef (stew meat or something better)
1 can of Guiness Beer
1 cup muchrooms chopped
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup ketchup

Carmelize onion and celery in butter, add mushroons and meat. Brown the meat. Add flour. Stir. Add beer, potatos, carrots, rosemary, bay leaf and ketchup. Top with water. Simmer until desired tenderness. Mix in cheese and stir until incorporated.

This stew is one of Cameron's favorites. The kids....NOT SO MUCH. They like the bread though.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for the stew recipe. It's sounds yummy and right up our "alley". The bread. . .do I dare try it? I never have much luck but remembering that Cabatta. . . soooo good. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. Sounds easy enough. . .always does, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr C told me about your blog. I love it. Now I'll be able to follow your life, too. Aren't computers wonderful? We're in AZ. and I can see what's happening there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read about this bread but haven't tried it..it's on my list of 'to try'. Thanks for the recipe Kathy!
    The stew sounds good too but would you really 'waste' a can of Guiness beer? 'grin'

    ReplyDelete