Monday, April 27, 2009

God’s Blanket of Love

 

I am a quilter.  I enjoy the process of choosing the design, picking the fabric (my favorite part) and seeing how it all comes out in the end. 

I had never thought of Our Lord as a quilter.  But, today Elsa (age 8) told me about an analogy she thought up while in church.  She said “ I thought of  Christians as squares in a quilt, all sewn together by God.  The people who are not Christians are squares on the side who have not yet been sewn into the blanket.  And when they become Christians, God sews them in with the others”.  She called it God’s Blanket of Love.

I thought this was very profound for an eight year old.  It made me ponder.  How would God’s quilt look?  Wow, it would be so, incredibly detailed but definetly a scrap quilt.  There would be no two pieces the same.  Each individual square, a work of it’s own, representing the details of the person’s journey into the quilt. (salvation).  Each, with so much of Gods effort  put into it.  It would all be placed together in such a way to make the end product a work of His perfect will.  I thought of the hand quilting and how it could represent God’s work of santifying us.  We would already be sewn into the blanket but, more work is needed to complete it.  The binding could be the end of time, when no one else can be sewn into it.  Sadly, there will be those squares that never fit into the design, despite all His work on them.  Finally when it is all finished, it would be a wonderful work that God will look upon with absolute pleasure to enjoy for all eternity.

God is so kind to share some of His creativity with us.  I have enjoyed quilting and thought I would post a few pictures of some that I have made.PLAY 014

This is a quilt I made for Tammy’s (Over at Garden Glimpses) granddaughter.  It is my new favorite.quilt 026

This is the first quilt that I made for myself.  I made it for my first baby.  I still use it often.

quilt 028

I made this one when going out of my mind waiting for baby #3 to arrive.

quilt 027

Here is a close-up of one of the embroidered squares.  A girl ironing.

quilt 029

I made this one for my sweet Elsa.  She sleeps with it on her bed.  Does my heart good to see her use it.  I hope to make one like it for Brenna who shares a room with her. 

These quilts are made with love and detailed, to a point but, I do look forward to seeing God’s Blanket of Love!   Kathy

3 comments:

  1. God's blanket of Love..that is awesome! And yes that is very profound for an 8 yr old. Way to go Elsa..good thinking!!
    Oh my I think I would like to quilt but it looks so overwhelming to me. Maybe I'll just stick to crocheting afgans and knitting squares for blankets. Your quilts look beautiful Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, isn't it precious . . .what Elsa said? And so true. Out of the mouths of babes.
    And you certainly do have some real blanket treasures.
    Monday Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how delightful to see my princess grandbaby's quilt on top of the pictures! I love it, too :-)

    Reading Elsa's thoughts reminded me of something - a project for you *someday* when you are wondering what to do with your scraps....

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete